Icinga2Bot for ErrBot
icinga2bot is a plugin for errbot that speaks to the Icinga2 API in order to relay messages to and from a chat channel.
This project is no longer in development. You are free to fork it for your own use. icinga2bot is a plugin for errbot that speaks to the Icinga2 API in order to relay messages to and from a chat channel.
After learning that errbot 4 had trouble with Python 3.5 on Ubuntu, I decided to support only Errbot version 5.x.
Principal development has been done in Centos 7 with python 3.4 and Errbot version 4.1.3, moved to Errbot 5.1.2 on September 25, 2017. I am actively seeking volunteers to help test and port the plugin on other systems.
- Python 3 >= 3.4
- External libraries: requests, urllib3
- Errbot from http://errbot.io/en/latest/index.html
- An Icinga2 instance and access to the API
Centos 7 requirements:
- Epel Repo in order to get Python 3.4
- Epel packages: python34 python34-tools python34-devel
- Compiler and libraries to build errbot: gcc, glibc-devel, libffi-devel, openssl-devel
- As errbot user:
virtualenv -p python3.4 err err/bin/pip install -U setuptools err/bin/pip install errbot
- Assuming your errbot installation directory is /home/errbot, clone or pull the icinga2bot files to /home/errbot/plugins
- Copy the Icinga2 certificate file to /home/errbot/plugins
- Edit icinga2bot.ini to match your configuration
- Add the certificate and icinga2bot.ini to .gitignore, just in case
Starting the bot
If you have configures your bot according to http://errbot.io/en/latest/user_guide/setup.html, then you can start the bot with
and check that it has entered your chatroom. If the plugin has any errors on startup, those will be shown in stderr.
Using the bot
In channel, icinga2bot accepts the following commands:
- !i2status will show a summary of the state of everything being monitored, e.g.
HOSTS 323 Up; 7 Down; 4 Unreachable SERVICES 307 OK; 33 Critical; 3 Warning; 13 Unreachable; 1 Unknown Checks per minute: 108 hosts, 83 services, 271 database queries
- !host hostname will show the up/down state of a single host
From the Icinga2 side, the bot will relay the following events to the chat channel:
- State changes
- Problem acknowledgments
- Notifications sent to a mailing list
- Downtime start, stop, and definition
The easiest way to test these features is to add or remove a comment from an existing host.