It allows following checks:
- is your NNTP server accepting clients and allowing them to enter specified groups
- if using authenticated connections (AUTHINFO USER/PASS), does server allow specified username/password to login
- do specified groups get new messages in them often enough (need server NEWNEWS support)
That should allow for checking most if not all of your NNTP / News needs.
CPAN module News::NNTPClient (just do apt-get install libnews-nntpclient-perl on Debian for example, or perl -MCPAN -e 'install News::NNTPClient' if your distribution doesn't have a package)
- script currently requires that news server implements NEWNEWS command
- only plain NNTP, no NNTPS or STARTTLS support, as
News::NNTPClientdoesn't support it. You may want to use stunnel4(8) or similar for workaround if you need it.